Paramahansa Yogananda Kolkata: The Art of Kriya Yoga
The calming art of Kriya Yoga is an ancient practice in India. Paramahansa Yoganandaji had popularised this form and now it has millions of practitioners. Yet if you truly want to calm yourself and delve into the world of Kriya Yoga, then you must first dive into the life of Paramahansa Yogananda. Read below you know more about Paramahansa Yogananda’s house in Kolkata and to learn more about his enlightened life.
Learn Kriya Yoga
- Paramahansa Yogananda was an extremely popular Indian saint who popularised Kriya Yoga around the world. He taught millions of people about the benefits of meditation and Kriya Yoga and gained several disciples in the course of his lifetime.
- His autobiography is hugely popular and has managed to garner a great fan following. His ability to spread happiness, peace and also remain humble is a lesson in itself. Paramahansa Yogananda has also founded several ashrams which now allow visitors and devotees to come and walk in his footsteps and attain peace.
- His first enlightenment took place right at his childhood home in Kolkata. While sitting meditation in a little attic he first realized the power of God and dedicated his life to it. This wonderful home is open to visitors now and is a must-visit place if you want to gain a little more insight into the life of the great Paramahansa Yogananda.
Paramahansa Yogananda House
- The rustic building now stands proudly as the blue skies look over it. The cycle rickshaw slowly passes the house- a typical Kolkata setting.
- Located at 4 Garpar Raod, this was the very house where Paramhansa Yogananda and Sri Yukteswar lived and meditated.
- The very fact that these two eminent and heavenly saints lived and meditated here makes this humble house through the lanes of Kolkata extremely pious.
- The house is still inhabited by Paramhansa Yogananda’s family members, and it is more of a residential abode than a pilgrimage center.
Through The Halls
- To visit this divine house you have to first make an appointment with the Yogoda Satsanga Math, which was an ashram founded by Paramhansa Yogananda. After you have procured an appointment, make your way through the typical narrow lanes of Kolkata.
- As the lanes end you will find yourself face to face with a modest-looking abode. From the outside, there is nothing to indicate that this house was once filled with saints and sages, who were the pride of the nation.
- There are no signs to tell you that this is where some of the world’s greatest teachers and saints sat and practiced meditation.
- The house lives up to the philosophy of both Paramhansa Yogananda and Sri Yukteswar- simplicity is the key to life.
- The residents are extremely warm and will treat you like their own. The very fact that you will be able to hear anecdotes and stories from the descendants of Paramhansa Yogananda makes the experience truly memorable.
- The residents also graceful act as guides and will happily answer any questions that you may have. Group meditations are still conducted here every Saturday, and if you do have time then you must attend one of the sessions here.
- The first place that you will be taken to will be the famous attic, wherein Paramhansa Yogananda spent a lot of his days meditating and perfecting his sadhana.
- You can also go inside the room and meditate for a little while! Just sit there and let yourself go, not every day will you get the opportunity to meditate and usher in peace in the room of Paramhansa Yogananda.
- After meditating you will once again be guided through the house and will hear more amazing stories of Paramhansa Yogananda.
- As you walk through the halls you will undoubtedly fill a strong presence of Paramhansa Yogananda, it is like his soul is still there.
- There is nothing more soothing and enriching than to feel that. The tour is also so well done that at times you can see the stories acting out live in front of your eyes.
- The first floor is filled with family photographs that will give you an insight into the life of Paramhansa Yogananda.
Yogoda Math In Dakshineswar
- The lovely Yogoda Math in Dakshineswar was described as a ‘haven of peace for city dwellers’ by Paramhansa Yogananda. Paramhansa Yogananda had come back to Kolkata in 1936 and stayed at this very place.
- This peaceful retreat has now become an immensely popular meditation retreat, and also a famous sightseeing spot.
Location Yogoda math Kolkota
- The location of the Yogoda Math also makes it breathtaking. Located right at the banks of the River Ganges, this retreat is the definition of tranquillity and peace.
- It is also the headquarters of the Yogoda Satsanga Society and its schools, centers, and ashram. This regal Math was once a garden house.
- Now it has been converted into a proper retreat complete with dining halls, guest rooms, and a kitchen. The Math is now open for all visitors coming from various parts of the world.
- Devotees are more than welcome to stay here however booking is required. Dakshineswar is also close to Serampore, and the famous Kali Temple, and guests and choose to visit these two sights as well.